Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My Dad

My Dad died in February of 2007 when Katherine was only ten months old. He spent a lot of time with her and there are many pictures of them together- thank goodness. I have thought often of how Katherine will never know my dad and will have no true memories of him.

Last night, the girls were looking through pictures on Rob's lap top. One of the sets they looked through included pictures of a beach trip we took with my dad when Caroline was about two. I was looking over their shoulders when Katherine looked at a particular picture and said, "Look, your dad and Caroline are reading together."

Katherine is very interested in assigning relationships right now. She often refers to people by their titles- 'my babysitter, my teacher, my sister.' I was so thrilled when she said, "Your dad." Through the beauty of pictures, she will know my dad, know that he was my dad, know that he was her gran'dad.

Later in the evening, Katherine and Rob were talking about all her grandparents. She listed Grandma, Grandpa and Mimi and then asked Rob, "Does Mommy have a daddy?" Thank goodness, Rob was able to refer to our earlier conversation and in a minute Katherine was able to imagine her gran'dad in her mind's eye.

If ever I needed motivation to keep taking pictures...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home