Monday, February 1, 2010

Gran'dad



My dad died three years ago tomorrow. When he died, Katherine was just a bitty baby and Caroline was close to the age that Katherine is now. I guess it makes sense, therefore, that Katherine's questions about her gran'dad and death seem to be coming with greater and greater frequency these days. She didn't really seem to grasp the truth of my dad until pretty recently. For quite a while, when we talked about Gran'dad, she would make the matter of fact statements that children make like, "Yeah, he's dead."

Now though, the questions are here and they are as hard to answer as they were when Caroline asked them three years ago.

A sampling is below:

"Does Gran'dad live in a hole?"
"How do you die?"
"Do you die like this (as she lay on the floor) without blinking or breathing."
"Are there ants in the ground near Gran'dad?"
"What's cancer?"

I can only hope that my answers are comforting and that Gran'dad is looking down on her from somewhere wishing he could answer all her questions himself.

2 Comments:

At February 2, 2010 at 9:56 PM , Blogger sara mann said...

thinking of you today, stacey. i still have the book your dad gave us all at your wedding and remember him with a smile each time i pick it up! love, sara

 
At February 27, 2010 at 12:57 AM , Blogger Mama Mary said...

I have to answer questions like that too with my 3 yo who never knew my dad, only sees him in photos. It's tough to decide how much to share or explain about death to a young kiddo. Your piece about your dad for the book is still one of my faves! I just had a thanks but no thanks email from an agent so will be sending more copies out next week. Take care!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home