Monday, August 30, 2010

The End of an Era



I am 37 years old. Until this weekend, I had never dyed my hair. Nothing. Not a highlight, not even a spray as part of a costume. Nothing. I vowed though that as soon as the grey appeared this would change.

For at least a year now I have been fighting with a few stray grey hairs. I would go weeks without seeing them but then they would appear. They took hold at the very front of my face and they were strong. They would defy gravity to stand up straight or to point out from my face like fingers. And they never came out right before bed or on my way to the gym. They would appear if we were going out with friends or to a wedding or to a party. In fact, I think they had brains and I'm pretty sure they were laughing at me.

On Saturday, an era ended. I walked into my salon and got my hair glazed. According to my stylist, this is entry level hair dying. Barely more than a deep conditioner with a hint of color.

No one will even notice. But I know. And I know that I am both stronger and smarter than my greys.

1 Comments:

At August 30, 2010 at 8:19 PM , Blogger sara mann said...

you didn't say -- did you go for the purple glaze, or the orange? :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home