Thursday, July 3, 2008

Decorated Towel

On the way to camp this morning, Caroline and I discussed beach towels at great length. At this most wonderful camp in the whole entire world, the children swim every day. This has made me realize that we don't have too many beach towels. The other day, I sent Caroline with a towel, that by report, was much too big.

I told her that I would get more towels, to which she relied, "Can I have a Cinderella towel? I am the only one without a decorated towel." She then went on to describe all the different commercial figures that adorn other children's towels- Tinkerbell, superheros, princesses. She is right. We only have pretty striped towels. I like stripes and I like high quality towels. And I hate that she is being sucked into this overly commercialized world we live in. I hate more, though, that she feels left out.

There will be many battles that I will have to fight over the years- amount of tv, use of video games, violent play, piercings, tattoos, curfews. I am sure that I will impose rules on her that will make her uncomfortable- rules that will make her stick out a bit from the crowd.

This seems to be a time that she can run with lemmings- I am off to buy a princess towel...

2 Comments:

At July 7, 2008 at 10:38 PM , Blogger ChefDruck said...

Did you go to the Disney Store? They have great towel sales every once in a while... The princess phase will pass - you will find yourself missing it as it will be replaced by Hannah Montana!

 
At July 14, 2008 at 9:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good girl...fight the fights that matter and don't worry about the rest! Its not like anyone actually thinks you prefer Disney towels to beautiful LL Bean stripes!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home