Monday, June 30, 2008

Exercise

I realized the other day that I have been exercising for 20 years. I began going to aerobics classes in high school. I was a very dedicated gym rat for years. Before the girls were born, I would go almost everyday. For nearly five years now, I have struggled to get back in the routine. I will be good for awhile and then... I kept saying I didn't have time, and then I heard this great quote- "A lack of time is a lack of priority." Interesting thought...

I decided that I would truly prioritize exercise this summer and see if I could get it to stick. I know that it is only July but I think it is working. I have discovered the most wonderful place- they teach a class called Body Blend- yoga, pilates, Lotte Berk and the Barre method combined. I am hooked. I swear they must pipe addictive chemicals through the vents because I can't stay away from the place. I feel stronger and I swear the shape of my body has changed- in a month.

And then the running. I used to run- again, pre-kids. I have tried over the years to get back to it. Frankly, if you run 'sometimes', it is not fun. Every run is as painful as the last. I just couldn't get over the 20 minute mark. And then we went to Nantucket with our marathon running friend. Rob and I went running with him one morning on what he called a "short run". Needless to say, within three minutes I knew I had to stay with the guys- I had no idea where I was and we finally returned home after 35 minutes. The amazing part was that I did fine. I felt fine. I could walk and breathe. And I was hooked again. If I could do that, then I could find a way to get running back into my life. I have run a bunch since we returned and am feeling like it is actually getting easier.

I will cross my fingers that my love of exercise is finally back... For now, I'm off to change into running clothes...

1 Comments:

At July 10, 2008 at 1:30 PM , Blogger justme said...

I find once I sign up for races, I am good to keep it up. I am hoping to do another 5 mile race this saturday AM.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home