Saturday, June 14, 2008

Tim Russert

Tim Russert

When David Bloom died over five years ago I was inconsolable. I was also pregnant so I attributed my sadness to hormones. Yesterday and today I can't stop thinking about Tim Russert's death. I think, I cry, I watch MSNBC whenever little eyes are otherwise distracted. And I am not pregnant. Somehow I connect to these news guys and I feel like I have lost a friend. I am wondering along with many others how we will sort out this election year without Tim Russert's guidance and trusty white board.

This morning I chose four things to take from his death. Many people on air have been talking about what a wonderful teacher Tim was. I think he wants us all to learn from his life so here are my lessons- big and small.

1. Find time for more cardiovascular exercise. I have always exercised a lot but over the past couple of years, if I am honest with myself, I am not exercising nearly enough. I have allowed fitness to take a back burner to all the other stuff. I have not prioritized or forced it into my tight schedule. I love to exercise and it is good for me. There is no reason not to do it and every reason to do it.

2. Stop being so stressed all the time. Last night, Tom Brokaw said that he and Tim had a bet going over who could loose the most weight. Tom said that he was comfortable talking to Tim about his weight issue but they had never talked about stress. Tom talked about how Tim burned the candle at both ends, working tons while always fitting in his family. Tom admitted that looking back on it, there was ample stress in Tim's life. I find small things to be stressed about all the time- the mess in the living room, the hundreth why question before 8am, what to serve for dinner. I need to let it go. I need to find a way to allow some calm into my body.

3. Love what I do. Excel at it. As I listened and listened and listened, Tim was described over and over again as being the best at his game. The absolute best. People said that he loved what he did and man, did it show. He loved it so much that he put in the time, put in the hours of homework to excel at it. I need to do this. I need to love what I am doing now. I need to find a way to be the best at whatever else I choose to do.

4. Cliche but... Love the ones your with. I think this is what makes Tim's passing so tragic. The shock of it, the suddeness of it, the 'he's there one moment and not the next' of it. We can all go like this. At any minute. Life really is short. It really is sweet. I need to hug all those I love. And I need to do it now.

1 Comments:

At June 14, 2008 at 5:04 PM , Blogger ChefDruck said...

It is so sad. These are 4 very good conclusions - too bad it takes such a tragedies for us to realize we need to stop and consider everything.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home