Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Now?

Today I played dress up with Caroline. We both wore opera length gloves, fairy wings and flowy skirts. We even made tiaras out of paper, crayons and strings. This is what I always hoped to do with my little girl- imaginary play, not directed by a commercial Disney show. Just regular old play. Now, just so you don't all get jealous- here's the catch. It was 6:27am.

My visions of play never included a 6 on the clock. Sixes are for sleeping- for dreaming of fairies perhaps but not for actually pretending to be one.

Those of you have been reading for awhile, know that we have been fighting the early rising for as long as Caroline has been alive. We truly have tried everything. For awhile recently, I finally went back to the dreaded tv. I really don't want her to be a big tv watcher. I think it revs her up a bit and she has such a fantastic imagination- I just want her to use it as often as she can. But at 6am, I just don't make a fun mom so I tried again. Over the last few weeks, I allowed Caroline to watch tv in my bed. As has happened before, she woke earlier and earlier each day- I imagine in anticipation of what fun the morning program would be. So we are back to drawing board again.

And the drawing board requires playing the role of fairy princess at 6:27am... I guess these are those dreaded trade offs that everyone talks about. TV or not. Peace and quiet or not. Pretend play or not. Someday perhaps, I will have my cake and eat it too. Perhaps someday, there will be pretend play that begins at 8am...

2 Comments:

At June 11, 2008 at 10:57 PM , Blogger ChefDruck said...

you are amazing. Fairy wings at 6. incredible! You should have been wearing a halo.

 
At June 14, 2008 at 1:48 PM , Blogger Cohort said...

Stacey,

I know I should not butt in however, for years I have been hearing about early AM risings. One of your older blogs mentioned some creative play you did with C. and now you are engaging in even more exceptional play time with her at 6:30 AM. Please let me be a voice from the woods and pre-historic parenthood.

You are "rewarding" her by engaging with her in play at these early morning hours. Who wouldn't want to get up to do arts and crafts or play dress up with Mommy when it is entirely one on one and so much fun! You found out with the TV deal that this just encourages her.

Put a digital clock by her bed. Make her a picture of what the clock looks like at 7:00 or 7:30 or whatever hour you choose. Tell her she is not to disturb you until the numbers look like "this". There is no question in my mind that she has books and toys that she can play with when she gets up. And when the numbers roll over to those "magic ones" 7:00/7:30 or whatever then, and only then, may she come in your room or make any noise to wake you.

Be pissed off with me if you want but, stop rewarding her for getting up early.
Your loving Aunt

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home