Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Worrier

I am always on the look out for children's books about anxious little guys. Caroline is a big worrier and she responds well to books. Therefore...

Some of my favorites to date include the classic, Wemberly Worried and a relatively new title, Scaredy Squirrel. Today we read another great one. Rosemary Wells, of Ruby and Max fame, has written Felix and the Worrier. It tells the story of a critter (a hedgehog, I think) who seems to get along just fine during the day but is plagued by worry at night. His worries are represented by a little boy, who looks a bit like the gingerbread man. The Worrier taps on Felix's window at night and suggests things that might be worth worry.

As I was putting Caroline down tonight, she began listing things, just like the Worrier, that were concerning her about tomorrow. What would the weather be like, who would be at the playground in the afternoon, what if she was hot at night? I asked her if the Worrier was talking to her. She said, "There is no such thing as a Worrier, Mommy." Before I could even agree with her, she said, "Sometimes I am the Worrier."

Out of the mouths of babes...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home