Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I Love Children's Books

I have always been a fan of children's books. I loved them as a child, I loved them when I was a grown up but not yet a mom and boy, do I love them now. When you pick the right ones they can really work magic.

It's only 7:45am and I have two wonderful examples already today...

Caroline and I had another rough start of it. She was up at 5:15am. She tried her hardest to get back to sleep, to play on her own but she was done trying at 5:45am. I tried my hardest to be nice but I was pretty cranky by 6:05am. Things were rocky until Caroline pulled out the library bag.

She went right for Max's Bunny Business- another in the Max and Ruby series by Rosemary Wells. As she pulled the book out, she said, "I like Max because he gets into trouble." Hum, relating to the character- good, good. Then she said, "I like him better than Curious George because George's trouble is such big trouble." Caroline really hates the part in the original Curious George when he is put into jail. I am so glad that she has found a character who gets into mild trouble that she likes and relates to- I am equally glad that she can't see herself in a convicted felon!

Then we read a new book for us- The Three Questions by Jon Muth. Talk about a book coming around at just the right time.... In this story a boy asks three questions to various characters throughout the tale: When is the best time to do things? Who is the most important one? What is the right thing to do? Awfully good questions and answers I was anxious to hear on this cranky morning. I hope I can carry this message with me today. The message the boy took away from his adventures was this:

"Remember then that there is only one important time, and that time is now. The most important one is always the one you are with. And the most important thing is to do good for the one who is standing at your side. For these, my dear boy, are the answers to what is most important in this world."

1 Comments:

At June 11, 2008 at 10:59 PM , Blogger ChefDruck said...

I also find Curious George to have a funny moral. He does these terrible things, and they end up being okay. It sends a weird message.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home