Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Voting

The girls and I arrived at our poling station at 8am. Fortunately (or unfortunately!) there was no line so we marched right in...

I really wanted the girls with me when I voted. I truly believe that this election and how we choose to vote has the potential to change their future. I want them to be able to say they were in the booth on November 4th, 2008.

After we left, I talked more about the importance of this election. Caroline said, "But Mom, all you did was sign your name and push some buttons."

I tried to sort out all my thoughts and figure out the best way to explain this day to her. I kept starting and stopping sentences about the first black man, an inspirational leader, chances for the direction of our country to truly change. As Caroline is only five, I settled on explaining how woman have only had the right to vote in our country for such a short time. I was shocked when she said, "Yeah, I know. And a while ago woman couldn't be ministers or go to college or a long time ago even speak in public."

Apparently, I didn't need to explain myself at all...

2 Comments:

At November 5, 2008 at 1:42 AM , Blogger Caroline said...

Apparently she was really paying attention when you read her the intro to Mama, PhD :) !

I'm glad your girls went with you to witness your vote. I am so proud of our country tonight, and so very happy for all of our children.

 
At November 6, 2008 at 6:03 AM , Blogger Duncan Vinson said...

Precocious kid!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home