Monday, January 5, 2009

May It Be So

This morning Caroline ran upstairs to go to the bathroom and of course, Katherine followed. A little bit later I walked upstairs wondering why all was so quiet. They had the door closed so I could only imagine Caroline sitting on the toilet with Katherine fully clothed perched on her little potty. This is the only way Katherine will sit on the potty these days but that's a whole different post.

I was about to open the door when I heard them talking. Their topic was death. Caroline told Katherine that she wouldn't die for a very long time, "When we're really, really old. When we're great grandmas and we're only kids. And then your soul goes to heaven." "And we go to heaven. Not to space."

She then said, "Before we die, Great Grandma and Great Grandpa and regular Grandma and regular Grandpa and Mimi and Mommy and Daddy will all die. I can picture Katherine's expression because Caroline's next comment was "You'll be so old then that you can take care of your self."

Caroline then said, "If we do end up dying when we are kids we can still go to school in heaven. We'll just have different teachers."

Then suddenly, Caroline's mood shifted and she said, "Don't think about it now. I'll tell you when you can think about it. It's not for a long time."

I decided to go into the bathroom at this point as I wasn't sure I could deal with where the conversation would go next.

As if she knew I was there the whole time, Caroline said, "That whole talking thing started because I was telling Katherine how she never met your grandma. I did. I was a tiny, tiny baby. Not a peanut baby. Just a tiny one."

Ok then.

2 Comments:

At January 11, 2009 at 11:17 PM , Blogger sara mann said...

caroline's just so amazing ... what a special little girl you have!

 
At February 13, 2009 at 10:49 AM , Blogger Robb said...

I think this is about the most poignant thing I've read in a very long time. You know, we rarely if ever get past Caroline's level of insight on this and most of us are doing well just to crawl our way back to it. Thank you for sharing this, Stacey.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home