Friday, March 13, 2009

Lost Tooth

We have had yet another crazy week. Rob was out of town, the sleeping sagas continue, etc, etc, etc...

In the midst of the madness, though, came a huge milestone. Caroline lost her first tooth last night. I had wiggled her tooth a few days ago and it barely felt loose. And then last night as Rob was putting her down for bed, she pushed the tooth right out.

Needless to say we were caught off gaurd. She looked so grown up. I could hardly believe that my baby had lost a tooth. Quite quickly though the disbelief was replaced with panic. I had no idea what the tooth fairy was giving out these days. I knew I got a quarter and I was fairly certain that wouldn't do.

As soon as Caroline went to sleep, I started calling around. Caroline's closest friend (we'll call her Ashley) had lost two teeth so I thought for sure we could do what they did and all would be fine. Except that Ashley's family is from Germany where they don't have a tooth fairy. Ashley got nothing. I realized that wouldn't do either. I started trying to picture more friends with missing teeth. I could picture another little girl in Caroline's class with spaces between her teeth (we'll call her Margaret) so I called her mom. Margaret's mom was no help either. It seems that Margaret didn't want to give her teeth away so she also got nothing. Again, not what I was going for...

At this point, the plot thickened. Rob realized that we only had $20 bills or a $2 bill he had received as part of a work event. I have a $2 bill in my wallet that my dad carried in his wallet for as long as I knew him. It seemed right for the tooth fairy to give a $2 bill for the very first special tooth.

Because sleep is a rare event, I was able to see the look on Caroline's face when she called me into her room at 1am. Usually, I'm not so happy to see her in the dark of the night. I must say, though, seeing her smile with a hole in her mouth holding up a $2 bill was pretty cute, even then...

2 Comments:

At March 13, 2009 at 9:44 PM , Blogger Vanessa said...

We do $2 too. Except when the tooth fairy feels guilty because she got too caught up servicing all the little kids in China who lost teeth during the night after a Chinese tooth losing boom. Those nights, when she comes mid-morning instead of the middle of the night, she gives $3 and an apology note.

 
At March 14, 2009 at 1:00 AM , Blogger Caroline said...

What a milestone! The SF tooth fairy has been totally inconsistent (and Ben doesn't like her to take his teeth), but has left notes, a 50 cent piece, and a silver dollar. Ben is hoping that the next tooth nets a $2 bill, so we've left word with the TF.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home