Thursday, May 21, 2009

Take That

I swore these words would never come out of my mouth... "What part of _____, didn't you understand?"

My parents never resorted to the phrase and I have always thought it sounded pretty nasty. Well, tonight I said it and tonight I was taken to task for it.

We were late getting the girls to bed tonight, Katherine had had a million temper tantrums during the day and I had a headache. Needless to say, I was done. Katherine was already upset about something and Caroline wouldn't stop talking to her about it. I had said, "Caroline, let it go." many times before I said, "What part of let it go, didn't you understand?"

To which she replied, "What part of you is good?"

I stopped in my tracks and worked hard at not crying. Apparently, there was a good reason I had planned to never say what I said. And I resolve to never say it again. Hopefully, the good part of me is admitting a wrong and righting it.

1 Comments:

At May 28, 2009 at 8:07 PM , Blogger Caroline said...

Ouch! I'm sorry about this episode.

Recently, a friend reported, she said to her son, "What part of 'stay there' didn't you understand?" To which he replied, "Probably 'there.'" They are pretty smart, these kids.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home