Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Nails

I have written often on this blog about my struggle with being an old fashioned mom in a modern world. I had another run in today...

I took the girls to get their hair cut this afternoon and after their cut, our hair dresser invited Caroline to get her nails done. "It's complimentary." she said to me. She must have thought my disgusted look had to do with money and not the fact that I really didn't want my five year to get her nails done. I finally gave in this summer to Caroline's requests for nail polish by purchasing the faintest pink I could find. While I feel like five year old girls really don't need nail polish, I decided that this was one of those battles that I didn't need to choose. After doing some research, I did discover that Caroline was truly the only little girl we knew who didn't have chipping nail polish on her little fingers. So I felt like the pale pink was a good compromise. Today Caroline left the hair salon with bright orange nail polish topped with glitter. She was so excited that I smiled and told her what a special day it was, all the while wondering if I was right that the woman should have asked my permission before she offered my daughter nail polish. I suppose she really thought nothing of it...

For some reason, I still do...

1 Comments:

At November 20, 2008 at 2:21 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi there,

I discovered your site via NJ moms, and wanted to comment. I'd have to chime in that nail polish is one of those things I'd rather kids waited on. And this is coming from someone who likes taking care of my nails. I like a nice mani-pedi as much as the next woman, but it's odd to me the way some of this stuff is marketed at kids. Part of me shudders at the thought of the objectification of beauty that they are learning so early. The other part just wishes they could be kids a little longer. I'm also frequently mortified by the clothes I see marketed to tween-set. eww.

I have a two year old who shocks me every day by declaring what she wants to wear. How is she even having an opinion about this stuff already???

It's a cute idea to offer the service at the salon, but they should have checked with you first or told you on the phone when you made the appointment. That only takes a second and would have spared you the discomfort of dealing with your daughter's reaction at the store.

S.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home