Friday, June 5, 2009

The Diaper Man

After dinner tonight, we told Katherine that it was going to be a big weekend. She looked at me expectantly until I said, "We are going to say 'bye bye diapers'." Her expression then went from expectant to worried to thoughtful.

Suddenly, she began to talk.

"Can you call the Diaper Man?"

"Just tell him that I am big girl."

"Tell him to come to my house and you can show him my room and he can put them (the diapers) on a tray."

We asked her if the Diaper Man was a bit like Santa to which she replied,

"He looks like Santa and he lives by the runway and he wears pajamas. The Diaper Man is a lady and she tapes wipes over her mouth to keep her quiet."

We then asked her if the Diaper Man might also be taking her changing table to which she said,

"He brings it (the changing table) to another house where the baby comes out of the Mommy's tummy and then he goes back to the runway."

And then I said to Katherine, who has now had three failed attempts at potty training, "You sound ready for the Diaper Man."

She looked up at me, as proud and confident as she been upset and nervous, and said,
"Yes I am!!"

As luck would have it, Rob's parents were going to be close by at a church function tonight. We called to see if they would be interested in playing the role of the Diaper Man. They agreed and shortly after the girls fell asleep, Rob's dad tip toed up the stairs to carry the changing table to their car. The diaper champ is hidden in the basement, extra diapers are stashed below our bed and the undies are ready to go.

Let's hope that the Diaper Man has worked his magic... We are ready...

1 Comments:

At June 5, 2009 at 10:37 PM , Blogger sara mann said...

i'm crossing my fingers for you! i think the day we got rid of diapers last june was about the most liberating day of my entire life. and i'm not exaggerating. ~ sara

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home